HOW IN THE HECK DO I BEGIN A HEALTHY DIET AND LIFESTYLE???

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” ~ Hippocrates 
The statement that I hear over and over from family, friends, and co-workers is: "I would eat better and live a healthier life style if I just knew where to begin."  It is hard to know where to begin and it is tough to embark on a lifestyle change without support.  I know, because I had to go through this alone and I want to help as many people as possible to regain their health! Here is my testimoney and some information and websites on a nutritional plant based diet that I hope that you might find useful. 
My story: In 1980, I contracted Hepatitis-C during a blood transfusion. Although I was experiencing various health problems I was not diagnosed with the illness until 1993. For the most part treatment has been experimental and unsuccessful for many strands of the virus.  In 2005 I underwent medical treatment unsuccessfully that left me weak and sicker than before I began the treatment. It was only after taking charge of my own health, with God's help and guidance, that I began a nutritional, mind-body-spirit, and holistic approach, did I become symptom free. It was a leap of faith to refuse traditional treatment, but it is one that I will never regret!  Not only did I have to overcome the illness, but also the repercussions of the medical treatment, interferon. I was taking fists full of pain killers, depression medication, and the list goes on.  However; today, I have perfect health and take no medications at all. Presently, I cross train, practice yoga, participate in marathons, and my personal diet consists of an 85% raw vegan diet.  I am 53 and I feel like I have discovered the fountain of youth and am enjoying life more than I ever have. This is a long way from the weak quality of life that I was previously living.

We put the following together for our first monthly Supper Club
Going Green 101 (Dr. Holcombe came up with this cool name and the following nutritional suggestions :)
Nutritional Suggestions:
  • Consume an anti-inflammatory, high fiber, low-fat, plant-based diet high in vegetables, fruit, and whole grain.
  • Consume healthy fats in the form of olives, avocados, nuts, and seeds.  Avoid saturated and trans-fats found in animal fat and commercially prepared food.
  • Consume 6-10 servings/day of fruits and vegetables.
  • Consume 2 servings/day of cruciferous vegetables.
  • Limit intake of refined carbohydrates and processed foods.
  • Limit soy products to 1-3 servings a day.
  • Reduce exposure to pesticides.  Eat organically grown produce and grains.  If unavailable, was thoroughly.
  • Limit alcohol to 1 per day or less.
  • Filter water for drinking.
  • When consuming animal products, chose cold water fish or organic, grass-fed meat.
Definitions:
Vegetarianism encompasses the practice of following plant-based diets (fruits, vegetables, etc.), with or without the inclusion of dairy products or eggs, and with the exclusion of meat (red meat, poultry, and seafood). Abstention from by-products of animal slaughter, such as animal-derived rennet and gelatin, may also be practiced.
Pescetarianism is the practice of a diet that includes seafood but not the flesh of other animals. A pescetarian diet is essentially a vegetarian diet that includes vegetables, fruit, nuts, grains and beans, and also permits eggs and dairy. However unlike a vegetarian diet it is distinguished by the inclusion of fish, and sometimes shellfish.
Veganism is the practice of abstaining from the use of all animal products.
Raw Foodie: is the practice of eating an 85-100% raw plant based diet.
Organic: foods that are grown with out pesticides, antibiotics, and are not genetically altered.
Cruciferous Vegetables: have it all: vitamins, fiber, and disease-fighting phytochemicals. Some cruciferous vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage, and bok choy.

 
                                
"Never put all your berries in one bowl." ~ Vegan Vittles

Comments

Popular Posts